Friday, December 21, 2012

How I Spent My “Fall” Vacation – Episode 51

Episode 51 – December 20 – Obviously with all the stress yesterday, I did not sleep well yesterday and I really try to avoid any kind of a prolonged nap around here because I want save all my “sleep energy” for overnight.
Barb came in just after 6 and did my glucose reading and it was down to 4.5. This could mean only one thing; more cookies and chocolates. Bring on the pie! Hee hee!
Cat was my day nurse again and the first thing she told me is that the move was scheduled for today but the patient in the bed in the semi-private room would likely not be going until around 11. Knowing that hospital time was even worse than “Rock and Roll” time, I didn’t hold her to this time. She did re-assure at around 1PM that the move was still happening.
Before each shift begins, the nurses have a meeting to discuss the upcoming day’s schedule and this meeting is called the “Daily Report”. This explains a lot because you cannot have a report before something happens. You can have a daily briefing before hand and a report after the shift. This terminology is not unique to this hospital.
One of the  things that definitely adds some flair and improves the atmosphere around the hospital is the fact that nowadays the nurses and other staff are allowed to express themselves in the style and colour of scrubs instead of the drab blues and greens. The last time I had an overnight stay at St.Vincent’s there were still a lot of nurses in the starched whites and of course, quite a few nuns in habits.
I was so upset yesterday; I even forgot the Dr. Haaf came by to see me yesterday just after I moved. I don’t even remember what we talked about except even he was starting to admit that Dr. McConkey was being a little too cautious with my treatments. Speaking of McConkey, while she was abusing my body, Jennifer, the physio, she and I were talking about him watching my treatment on Friday and she could tell he was impressed with what he saw.
Just before lunch, a volunteer from the hospital foundation came and gave each patient a poinsettia from the foundation, the Deep Cove Lions Club and GardenWorks Nurseries. A lovely gesture and they are pretty to look at but I have nowhere to put it. My space is so limited. But thank you for this.
Because I’m hidden behind curtains a lot I’ve learned a lot about listening to footsteps. I can usually tell whether it’s a nurse coming, an administrator or a visitor. Despite my damaged hearing, I have developed a knack for this. Some people have very distinctive cadences to their walk. There was one facilities manager at the Coliseum that I could pick out coming from at least thirty metres around the corner of the lower concourse. Another example is my friend, Mona, although I did know she was on her way to visit, I could pick out her footsteps from down the hall. I recognized them from her walking past my bedroom every summer morning. Hey! Get your minds out of the gutter! She was walking on the sidewalk outside my bedroom window on her way to work. Jeez, what am I going to do with you people?
You may have noticed a more upbeat tone to my scribbling today over yesterday. I am absolutely elated to be out of room 623. Caitlyn, the resource nurse, came in and told me the room was ready and then she and Angie started moving my furniture and my bed to room 306. My mood changed immediately and it didn’t hurt that Caitlyn would be looking after me. Although I didn’t get the window seat I got a fun view any way. There’s a window to the hall beside the door, I look directly at the nurse’s station. Layla walked by, saw me and dropped in to say hello. When I told her where I had just been, she rolled her eyes and said, “I don’t blame you I hate that room.” Amy took over for Caitlyn (one cute one for another) and when I told her where I was she confirmed my suspicion about 623 being the geriatric room and where they put patients that aren’t that cognisant about their surroundings.
I would like to point out my enjoying the fact that Caitlyn and Amy does not belittle Cat. The nursing change came about because 603 is on the other side of the orthopaedics floor.  Cat was great the last two days. It’s easy to look after someone who is happy but it’s difficult to help out a patient that’s down and out. I made a point of thanking her for all her help these past couple of days.
Getting back to the view, from my window in 623 had a panoramic view of the harbour and the city skyline but view is no better than looking at the wall if you are not happy. Even more ironic, because of my height my direct sightline when sitting up was even with the wide window mullion so it blocked my city and harbour view and I could only see the rooftops of nearby apartments. I would have to lower my bed to the minimum or raise it to the maximum to take advantage.
Room 603 has a wonderful view of Grouse Mountain although because of the separator curtain I can’t see but then again the view of Grouse I’m longing for is the one looking out my window on Premier. Oh crap, another clue for Leslie.  (BTW – The final clue can be found on my FB cover photo.) And a special note to Marla, just to keep me company and not get homesick for 621, the tap drips in room 603.
I was really thrilled to hear that the TICorporation, the company responsible for the debacle on the Port Mann Bridge has agreed to pay the deductible for cars damaged by the falling ice. How magnanimous of them. ICBC (that would be us) still gets to pick up the tab for the rest of the damage.
Here’s a line I thought you only heard in poorly written movies. Two elderly gentlemen were walking by my door after visiting a friend further down the hall. “He’s seems to be doing well.” “Yes, he’s got good colour.”
Natasha was my night nurse and she’s great. So it was a good day all around.
And as always I finished the day with a cookie, an orange and Rachel with dreams of finally standing up tomorrow. :-)
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment